Are you ready for amazing adventures and to create some of your most memorable camping experiences ever, all for free? In this guide, I’ll show you how to leverage technology to quickly uncover epic places to camp without breaking the bank.
Finding Your Free Camping Options
When it comes to free camping, there are several options to consider:
- National Forests and Bureau of Land Management: These public lands offer opportunities for dispersed camping, also known as dry camping, wild camping, boondocking, or free camping.
- County and City Parks or Campgrounds
- Rest Stops
- Businesses like Farms, Breweries, Wineries, and Museums
- Business Parking Lots
Navigating Dispersed Camping
Contacting the National Forest Service
To find dispersed camping spots in a National Service Forest, reach out to the local area forest service office. Ask specifically about dispersed camping and inquire about road conditions, restrictions, and guidelines.
You can find the National Forest contact information here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/about-agency/contact-us/regional-offices
Vital Tips for Dispersed Camping
Here are some crucial tips for a successful dispersed camping experience:
- Plan for No Hookups or Dump Stations: Fill your fresh water tank ahead of time.
- You Can’t Make Reservations: Always have alternative backup camping ideas.
- Prepare for Rough Roads: Some dispersed camping spots may have challenging access. Download Forest Service Maps ahead of time: https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/maps
- Lack of Cell Service: Bring a paper map or download one ahead of time.
- Respect the Environment: Leave no trace, pack out your own trash, and avoid damaging natural resources.
Top Apps for Finding Free Camping Spots
1. USFS and BLM Campgrounds App
- Over 5,000 campgrounds and dispersed camping spots.
- Filter for free dispersed camping options.
- Provides valuable information on U.S Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management campgrounds.
✔️ You can download the USFS and BLM Campgrounds App here: https://apps.apple.com/ly/app/usfs-blm-campgrounds/id654806302
2. The Dyrt Pro
- Offers a map view for free camping spots.
- Users can upload photos and leave reviews, providing valuable insights into camping spots.
✔️ You can download the Dyrt Pro App here (affiliate link): https://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=ml&ti=871501&pw=275717
- Database of user-submitted free camping spots, including campgrounds, rest stops, and businesses that allow overnight parking.
- Users can upload photos and leave reviews for added information.
✔️ You can download Campendium here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/campendium-rv-tent-camping/id1191380095 (IOS)
4. Freecampsites.net (For Android Users)
- A platform for users to share free camping spots they’ve discovered.
- Focuses on public lands and County/City parks.
✔️ Android users can download FreeCampsites.net app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.freecampsites.androidapp&hl=en_US&gl=US
- Surprisingly, YouTube is a great resource for discovering hidden camping gems through user-generated videos.
✔️ You can download the YouTube App here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/youtube-watch-listen-stream/id544007664 (IOS)
6. Harvest Host
- Membership-based platform offering access to thousands of businesses for overnight camping in a self-contained RV.
✔️ You can join Harvest Hosts here (affiliate link): https://gr3f.co/c/53807/5WI8W
By utilizing these resources and tips, you can embark on unforgettable free camping adventures. Remember to always respect the environment and leave your camping spots as you found them. Happy camping!