This travel trailer campsite setup checklist is provided by Randi at Randi’s Adventures on YouTube.
Travel Trailer Campsite Setup Steps
1. Preview your campsite before you back in
You want to find the most level spot.
2. Make sure hoses will reach the hookup pedestals
Make sure your electric cords can reach the electric hookup pedestal, water hoses will reach the water spigot and your sewer hose will reach the dump if you are at a campsite with these hookups.
If you have slide-outs or awnings make sure there is enough room to open them. You do not want to unhitch and realize you are not close enough to the hookups or there is not enough room for your slide-out or awning. If they do not reach move the trailer so they do reach.
3. Level the trailer from side to side
Place a level inside your trailer so the ends are pointing to the sides of your trailer. You want the bubble centered in between the lines. If you are not leveled side to side, place the levelers behind the wheel or wheels on the side you need to raise and slowly back up your tow vehicle until the trailer wheel is on the level.
Then recheck the level inside your trailer and if it is now level move unto the next step. If it is still not level pull your tow vehicle forward and add another level.
4. Chock the wheels
Put wheel chocks in place to ensure your trailer does not move or roll away.
5. Place a block under the jack
6. Remove weight distribution bars
Tip: Raising your tongue jack up will take pressure off of the bars making them easier to remove. Lowering the jack will take pressure off the hitch.
7. Lower the jack to take pressure off the hitch
8. Disconnect the chains
9. Disconnect the 7-way power cord
10. Disconnect the break-away cable
11. Remove the ball coupler safety pin
12. Lift the ball coupler off the ball hitch
13. Raise the tongue jack until the hitch clears the vehicle ball
13. Move the tow vehicle out of the way
Once Trailer is Disconnected from Tow Vehicle Steps
14. Level the trailer from front to back using your tongue jack
15. Put a block of wood or use leveling blocks under each stabilizer to support them
16. Lower the stabilizers unto the wood or levels
17. Connect to hookups
18. Turn on RV battery and propane
✅ Travel Trailer Setup Items on Amazon
If you need to purchase any of the items necessary to set up your travel trailer on Amazon here are the items I use or recommend:
- Weight distribution bar with sway control: https://amzn.to/2U4bzfJ
- Level bubble bar: https://amzn.to/3xDLXEQ
- RV Levelers: https://amzn.to/3hzi82L
- Jack block: https://amzn.to/3k8PR4G
- Stabilization blocks: https://amzn.to/3e9cXEO
- Wheel chocks: https://amzn.to/2T9kMTA
- Drill (cordless): https://amzn.to/3wAVzz4
- Slotted rod for drill: https://amzn.to/3xDRxqM
Want to learn how to hitch your travel trailer? Click here.
DISCLAIMER: I am not a travel trailer or a travel trailer hitch expert – this is what works for me and your tow vehicle, trailer, weight distribution system, etc. may be different than mine – you are responsible to do your own research and read your owner manuals!